Vegan Tofu and Mushroom Enchiladas
PRIOR TO BEGINNING:
Preheat the oven to 200C
You will need:
- Caseerole Dish
- Large Frying Pan
- Large saucepan
- Tofu Press or some books and a cloth will work*
- Cheese Grader
FOR THE ENCHILADAS
1-2 fresh chilis if you like spicy
1 Block of extra firm tofu, pressed and drained*
1 tsp Paprika (Heaping Tsp)
½ tsp Chili Powder (Optional)
4 – 6 Wholewheat Tortilla Wraps (Dependent on size and how full you want them)
*Can substitute tempeh, jackfruit or any meat substitute – All work well
FOR THE SAUCE
3 TBSP hot sauce
3 – 4 Tomatoes or a handful or two of cherry tomatoes
3 TBSP Tomato Paste
2 Garlic Cloves
2 – 3 TBSP Oil
1 tsp Cumin
2 tbsp gram flour or sub normal flour
1 tsp Paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE TOPPING
250g grated plant-based cheese
Drizzle of hot sauce
A sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves
Make the sauce
- Place all of the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pan over a medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes until thickened.
Cook the filling
- Peel and slice the onion
- Slice or dice the mushrooms and a fresh chili or two
- Drain and crumble the tofu.
- Place a large pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Once warm, add the sliced onions and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft
- Add the chili(s) and cook for another minute or so
- Once soft, add the mushrooms and crumbled tofu and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the paprika and cook for 1 minute, then spoon in 5 tablespoons of the enchilada sauce.
- Heat the sauce through the mixture for a couple minutes until all the goodness soaks in
Assemble the dish
- Pour half of the sauce onto the bottom of a baking dish and top with a good amount of grated cheese.
- Spoon equal amounts of the cooked mushroom and tofu mixture into each tortilla and wrap up each one before placing in casserole dish and topping with the remaining sauce.
- Once you have all of the wrapped tortillas in a line in the pan, top with the rest of the sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
Time to serve
- Once cooked, remove the dish from the oven and drizzle with hot sauce.
- Sprinkle with some black pepper and garnish with coriander leaves.