Our perfect protein packed Vegan Alfredo!
Our new creamy broccoli and mushroom tofu pasta is the perfect mix of comfort and cozy as we head into what is hopefully, the last few weeks of winter.
And unlike some other vegan cream sauce recipes, this one is quick and easy with no need for soaking any cashews to get that rich and thick sauce that will have everyone thinking it’s dairy.
Instead, we have opted for a creamy silken tofu base which is perfect for getting in some extra protein and blended together with a little stock and spices, it’s absolutely delicious!
Feel free to experiment with this dish too… we used broccoli and mushrooms, but we know not everyone is a fan of mushrooms, so why not opt for some butter beans instead… not a fan of broccoli? Throw in some peas or some asparagus… the possibilities are endless when it comes to this plant-based creamy pasta dish.
Simply follow our recipe below and prepare yourself for a delicious protein-packed vegan pasta dish that is sure to please!
- 1 – 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 chilis
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 carton silken tofu
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- pasta of choice (we recommend red lentil or edamame pasta for added protein)
- 200g broccoli
- 200g mushrooms
- Pan fry onion, garlic and chilli peppers
- Add fried onions, garlic and chilli to blender, along with dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, vegetable stock, and silken tofu. Blend to creamy consistency.
- Meanwhile boil and prepare your pasta, do not cold rinse. Cold rinsing will prevent the sauce from sticking the pasta.
- Also while making the sauce you can start to prepare your broccoli and mushrooms in a frying pan with some garlic and diced onion
- Once your broccoli and mushrooms are tender you are ready to add your sauce into the mix
- Fry everything together on a medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken (about 3 minutes or so)
- Finally, add your finished sauce and vegetables to your pasta and enjoy your protein rich savory dinner!